Thursday 9 January 2014

Weekend away in Edinburgh




We went to Edinburgh on 3rd January for the weekend, it was my boyfriends birthday, and the first time I said I would organise a trip away. I had high hopes and even printed out a timetable for the trains. We hadn't even been on the train for five minutes when my first blonde moment occurred. We had got on the wrong train!! 
When I had got over my panic and we were back an track I could really enjoy the journey. The East Coast train from York was really beautiful, the scenery was lovely.  There where dozens of little fishing villages that looked like they where taken straight from a film. 

Once in Edinburgh we stayed in the Holiday Inn next to the Edinburgh Zoo.  This was a ten minute bus journey from Princes Street. When we booked this we thought it would be fine but looking back I would of rather payed more to be in the city centre. It just seemed a bit of a chore each day after wandering around then having to get the bus back to get ready for the evening meal to then get the bus back into town. Appart from that the hotel was really nice, one thing I loved was in the morning if you had your window open you could hear the animals next door. I'm sure this isn't for every one but I though it was nice to pretend your in the jungle. 


 

On Saturday we went on the whiskey tour at The Scotch Whiskey Experience, (http://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk). This was something I bought my boyfriend as a birthday present.  I didn't think it was going to be up my street, I would rather have gone on a tour of a cupcake factory, but I went along any way and really enjoyed it. As part of the tour they showed us the worlds largest private whiskey collection.  This was made up of 3,500 bottles and collected by a Brazilian guy as a hobbie... I'm sure he had some wild parties. 

We also went for some lovely meals, we celebrated Leigh's birthday at The Mussle Inn on Rose Street. This was a gorgeous little seafood place tucked just behind Princes Street.  We had a fab time, bottle of wine and mussels each. This was great at the time, I even joked about my Dad's seafood allergy and how we always though he was hungover being sick. Well didn't kalma come and hit me over the head. I guess I didn't just inherite my fathers heigh and dark hair, I also inherited his allergy to shell fish. This resulted in spending Saturday night looking at the decor in The Holiday Inn bathroom.  

To say we didn't pay to do all the touristy things such as the castle or cream tea at The Balmoral. Just wandering around in such a beautiful city was so enjoyable. I could of spent all wknd staring at all the different buildings.  

Edinburgh is defiantly a city a would recommend visiting, the shopping is great, everybody was so friendly - all the resturant staff were much nicer than in England. 

Faye xx



No comments:

Post a Comment